Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Bagley Memorial Fountain

The Bagley Memorial Fountain was named in honor of John J. Bagley, Detroit’s police commissioner from 1865 to 1872 and the 16th governor of Michigan. When Bagley died in 1881, he left $5,000 for the construction of a fountain in Detroit. In 1885, the Bagley family chose Henry Hobson Richardson as its designer.

Constructed from pink Bragville granite, the fountain is 21 feet tall and seven feet across. There are four lion heads at the center of the fountain, two of which originally produced cold water, chilled by ice packs positioned around the pipes. The fountain was originally located near Campus Martius Park, where it was dedicated in 1887 at the corner of Woodward Avenue and Fort Street. In 1926 an increase of automobile traffic resulted in the Bagley Memorial Fountain’s move to Campus Martius Park. In 2007 it was moved to its current location in Cadillac Square Park, where it is the only remaining work by Henry Hobson Richardson in the Detroit area.



Bagley Memorial Fountain, 1908

View all items related to Bagley Memorial Fountain