Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Virginia Park Historic District

The Virginia Park Historic District in Detroit, Michigan is located along both sides of Virginia Park Avenue from Woodward Avenue to the John C. Lodge Freeway access road. Established in 1893 after being planned in advance, this district was originally conceived as an upper-middle class enclave. Many of the substantial homes in Virginia Park, constructed between 1893 and 1915, were designed by prominent Detroit architects and represent a variety of architectural styles, including Colonial Revival, Neo-Georgian, Tudor, and Bungalow. The Virginia Park Historic District eventually became part of the New Center area of Detroit, along with the Fisher Building, Cadillac Place, and the Argonaut Building. It is currently zoned to Detroit Public Schools, and many of its buildings are under the preservation program of Midtown Detroit Inc., which is working to preserve historic and architecturally significant buildings in the New Center area of the city. The Virginia Park Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1982.

Edited by Julia Teran


Two houses in the Virginia Park District, 1980 - 2008.033.379

View of a street corner in Virginia Park, 1980 - 2008.033.689

View all items related to the Virginia Park Historic District