- About Us
- Detroit Historical Museum
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Things To Do
- Ways To Give
MLK, Jr.: "Bring the Dream to Life"
January 16 2017 | 10:00am to 4:00pm
Celebrate Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s 88th birthday with us and "Bring the Dream to Life" on Monday, January 16 at the Detroit Historical Museum, presented in partnership with the Black Historic Sites Committee. Scheduled activities include:
• Children's activities, including planning a dinner with Dr. King and making your own Martin Luther King, Jr. coloring and activity book.
• Presentation on Detroit's Historic Conant Gardens neighborhood by Orlin Jones and a dance performance by Alnur African Drum and Dance troupe.
• Poety "open mic" for compositions on the theme "the spirit of Dr. King" with hosts Thomas Williams and One Single Rose.
• Cupcakes and singing of Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday" at 3:30 p.m., followed by "We Shall Overcome."
• Brief presentations on the Detroit 67 project and oral history archive, as well as ways to get involved.
Admission is free although parking fees will apply.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:
10 am - 3:30 pm
Build your own MLK Jr. Coloring and Activity Book (Wrigley Hall, Lower Level)
10 am - 3:30 pm
Dinner with Dr. King Kids Activity (Grand Trunk Depot, Lower Level)
10 am - 11:25 am
History Presentations + Door Prize Drawings Each Hour (Auditorium, Lower Level)
11:25am - 11:55 am
Mama Ayi's Alnur Dancing Princesses (Auditorium, Lower Level)
11:30 am - 2:30 pm
Detroit 67 Project Information, Presentations and Activities (Allesee Gallery of Culture, First Floor)
11:55am - 3:30pm
Poetry Performances + Door Prize Drawings Each Hour (Auditorium, Lower Level)
Sing "Happy Birthday" and "We Shall Overcome" (Wrigley Hall, Lower Level)