- About Us
- Detroit Historical Museum
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Things To Do
- Ways To Give
If your group is interested in learning more about the unique 300-year history of Detroit and the region, the Detroit Historical Society offers a Speakers Bureau, featuring a variety of local scholars and selected topics.
Choose from one of the exciting topics listed below or suggest your own topic and we’ll do our best to accommodate your request. Presentations generally run 30-60 minutes in length, often feature an array of historic images and always leave time for questions and answers.
- Albert Kahn’s Architectural Legacy: The Ubiquitous Mr. Kahn
- Boom Town: Detroit in the Roaring '20s
- Cool Cars: Unique Automobiles of the Detroit Historical Society Collection
- Detroit ‘67: The Myth of the Model City
- Detroit and the War of 1812: Border Crossings
- Disaster on the Great Lakes: The Gales of November
- First City of the Old Northwest: 150 Years in Early Detroit
- Getting Around: Mass Transportation in Southeastern Michigan
- Great Lakes Shipwrecks: Committed to the Deep: Exploring Underwater Treasures
- Lost to Time: 20 Famous Detroiters You've Never Heard Of
- Our Island Jewel: Detroit's Belle Isle Park
- Preserving Your Family Photos
- Roots of the Music: Origins of the Motown Sound
- The Detroit Historical Society: A Sense of Stewardship
- The Detroit Historical Society: Preserving and Presenting Your History Since 1921
- The Detroit River: Dynamic Maritime Highway
- The Dossin Great Lakes Museum: Detroit’s Maritime Heritage Center since 1949
- Unique Ships of the Great Lakes: Practical Ships designed for Practically Every Need
- Unique Street Names: The Man on the Street (and Women, too!)
- World War II on the Homefront: Detroit: The Arsenal of Democracy
- A brief description of each topic can be found on the Topic Descriptions page.
Speaking engagements are available Monday through Thursday for daytime and evening presentations or Friday during the day only.
The Detroit Historical Society charges a fee of $150 for presentations. Presentations scheduled by local historical societies receive a $50 discount. Presentations scheduled by Detroit Historical Society members receive a $50 discount. Venues farther than 30 miles from the Detroit Historical Museum add a $25 fee for each additional 10 mile increment.
To book a speaker for your group, you can fill out and submit our online speaker request form below or call 313.833.0277.