Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Olympia Stadium

Nicknamed “The Old Red Barn,” Olympia Stadium stood at the corner of Grand River and McGraw in Detroit for nearly sixty years before its demolition in 1986. During that time, hundreds of thousands of Detroiters cheered the Detroit Red Wings, the Detroit Pistons, and boxing luminaries like Joe Louis within its distinctive red brick walls. In addition, The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Elvis Presley and The Rolling Stones all performed there.

The stadium was designed by noted architect C. Howard Crane, who also designed the Fox Theatre and Orchestra Hall. The final official game at Olympia Stadium was played in December 1979, although an exhibition game was played there in February 1980.  

 


RELATED ITEMS IN THE COLLECTION

Olympia Stadium, 1927 - 2012.022.645

Red Wings Yearbook, containing images of the renovated Olympia Stadium, 1966 - 2004.072.033

View all items related to Olympia Stadium