Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Fillmore (State) Theatre

Built in 1925, the Fillmore Detroit was known for most of its history as the State Theatre. Prior to that the structure was known as the Palms Theatre, a movie house built in the Renaissance Revival style of architecture. C. Howard Crane was the original architect.

The Fillmore Detroit is a busy concert venue for popular music acts, rarely hosting larger, multiple-night, Broadway-style theatre shows like the Fox or Fisher Theatres do. Its current seating capacity (with cabaret-style terraced seating and a dance floor) is 2,200. If the original seats (which are now in storage) were reinstalled and the original grade brought back to the theatre orchestra level, its seating capacity would increase to 3,000. The mezzanine and balcony levels still contain their original theatre seating. Currently the main floor has seating for 700, and the mezzanine and balcony have a combined seating for 1500.

In March 2007, Live Nation announced that the State Theatre would become the Fillmore Detroit as part of a multi-city extension of the Fillmore brand, similar to what was done with the company’s House of Blues franchise.

 


RELATED ITEMS IN THE COLLECTION

Exterior of the Fillmore (State) Theatre, 1985

Palms Building and Theatre exterior, 1975

View all items related to the Fillmore (State) Theatre