Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Edgewater Park

Edgewater Park, a 20-acre park at Grand River and Seven Mile Rd on Detroit’s west side, opened in 1927. It quickly became one of Detroit’s most popular recreation spots, particularly during the Depression and World War II when it provided an inexpensive way to have fun and forget one’s worries for a short while.

The park featured popular attractions such as the wooden roller coaster “Wild Beast,” a gigantic 110-foot Ferris Wheel and the “Hall of Mirrors.”

The Park maintained its popularity all throughout the 1950s and 1960s, earning a reputation as one of Detroit’s greatest hangouts. In September 1981, after years of declining revenues and the growth in popularity of rival theme parks Bob-Lo Island and Cedar Point, Edgewater Park welcomed the last visitor through its turnstiles.