Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Detroit Institute of Arts

The Detroit Institute of Arts, known affectionately as the DIA, is a world renowned art museum. Founded by prominent Detroit citizens in 1885, the museum opened on September 1, 1888 in a building on Jefferson Avenue.  In 1927 the museum moved to its current location on Woodward Avenue, just north of Warren Street.

The DIA has over 65,000 works, including an extensive American art collection.  It contains art from all over the world, spanning a period of centuries, including Ancient, Asian, African, Oceanic, Native American and Islamic works as well as contemporary and modern art.

Today, the DIA’s museum encompasses 658,000 square feet with more than 100 galleries, a reference library, a conservation laboratory, and meeting and lecture spaces. 

 


RELATED ITEMS IN THE COLLECTION

Detroit Institute of Arts postcard

Detroit Institute of Arts postcard 

View all items related to the Detroit Institute of Arts


RELATED ENTRIES