Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Christ The King Catholic Church

About 300 families founded Christ the King Catholic Church in 1927. The first mass was held in Redford High School. Construction of a temporary multi-purpose building began in 1928 but, due to the Great Depression, it took a decade to raise enough funds to complete the church.

A second temporary church was built in 1932. The first building still stands, now incorporated into the school which opened on September 12, 1938. Immaculate Heart of Mary Sisters from Monroe taught the students. In 1947, the school, a convent for 16 IHM Sisters, and a third “temporary” basement church were completed.

The permanent church was dedicated in 1962, and the basement was converted into a social hall. Following the Second Vatican Council (1962-1965), Christ the King underwent unprecedented changes in the liturgy governance. To prepare for increased lay leadership, a parish council and countless committees and commissions were established. In the summer of 1980 the pastoral staff was expanded to include religious sisters and lay ministers.

In 2009 Christ the King territory was extended to include districts that had been served by the closed churches, St. Monica, St. Christine and St. Gemma. Christ the King School is one of the few remaining K-8 Catholic parish schools in Detroit.



Holiday House Program, 1945 – 2014.096.035

View all items related to Christ The King Catholic Church