Encyclopedia Of Detroit

Caille, Arthur

Arthur Caille had the vision and foresight to understand that motion pictures could be a lucrative draw in Detroit. He opened Detroit’s first commercial movie house, The Casino, on Monroe Street in March 1906. On opening day, this converted storefront seated 260 patrons who paid five cents admission to see “The Train Wreckers,” a ten-minute adventure film.

Following the success of The Casino, Mr. Caille went into partnership with John Kunsky, and they opened additional downtown and neighborhood theaters. In later years, Caille sold his interest in the company to Kunsky. Caille then became president of the Majestic and Maxine Theater Company. He partnered with Henry Guthard and purchased the Norwood and Fine Arts Theaters, both on Woodward Avenue. Later theaters in their chain included the Marx and Majestic theaters, both in Wyandotte, and Detroit’s Ferry Field, located at Grand River and West Grand Boulevard.