- About Us
- Detroit Historical Museum
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Things To Do
- Ways To Give
Encyclopedia Of Detroit
Detroit Stove Works
With an abundance of iron ore in the Upper Peninsula, Michigan was to become a leader of iron made products: cast iron stoves, wheels for railroad cars, ships, and marine engines. During the Victorian era, cast iron stoves were replacing fireplaces as a way to heat homes. Making Michigan the stove manufacturing capital of the world, the “big three” stove manufacturers were: The Detroit Stove Works, Michigan Stove Company and the Peninsula Stove Company.
First founded as the Jeremiah and James Dwyer Foundry in 1861, the Detroit Stove Works was created with the financial backing of Charles DuCharme, a wealthy Detroit hardware dealer. With the Dwyer’s knowledge and skills and the economic assistance, the Detroit Stove Works was incorporated in 1864. The brothers were the first foundry in the region to combine modern engineering practices with contemporary foundry work. With the growth of the Michigan Stove Company Detroit’s changing economic base in the last decades of the 19th century went from commercial and transportation interests to manufacturing firms.
In 1871, Jeremiah Dwyer formed a group of investors and founded the Detroit-Michigan Stove Company. The company expanded the variety of stoves available under the Garland label. They included kitchen and cooking stoves, as well as a greater variety of heating stoves. Additional stove companies formed in Detroit in the 1870s and 1880s, and consequently, stove manufacturing became Detroit’s leading industry in the late 19th century.
With the buyout of Art Stove Co. in 1923, the Detroit–Michigan Stove Company made gas ranges for homes and heavy-duty heating and cooking appliances for hotels, clubs, restaurants, and institutions under the "Garland" and "Laurel" as well as "Jewel" and "Detroit Jewel" names, in addition to stoves and furnaces. In 1927, the company placed a thirty ton Garland stove replica on the roof of its factory, near the approach to Belle Isle, which was built for the 1893 World’s Fair in Chicago. In 1955, Welbilt Stove acquired Detroit-Michigan Stove and the consolidated company became Welbilt Corp., a public corporation that inherited Detroit-Michigan's listing on the New York Stock Exchange.
Written by Stacy Newman