- About Us
- Detroit Historical Museum
- Dossin Great Lakes Museum
- Things To Do
- Ways To Give
General Information & Pricing
Don’t just make plans – make history!
The Dossin Great Lakes Museum, a maritime heritage museum, stands on the shores of Detroit’s historic Belle Isle, one of America’s grandest city parks. Here, you’ll explore rare artifacts exhibiting 300 years of Great Lakes history.
Party guests will take in a panoramic view of the Detroit River and Canada and step back in time through the Gothic Room – originally a luxurious lounge on the City of Detroit III Great Lakes steamer.
With indoor and outdoor space available, your options are limitless! The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is truly a unique venue sure to make your event special.
Please call us at 313.833.1733 to schedule a free consultation with our events planning experts or follow the links for more options.
Pricing and Capacity
The prices below include the following accommodations and services:
- Consultation(s) with our event specialists
- General museum admission for your gueststo all open exhibits is included for all rentals over $600. For smaller rentals entire museum access can be included for an additional $150 fee.
- Access to all available museum exhibits
- Consultation(s) with our event planners
*Includes the Gothic Room, DeRoy Hall and main exhibition gallery.
Capacity: 400 strolling or 125 seated
Capacity: 125 seated
The Gothic Room
Capacity: 40 seated
Note: capacity is subject to change with other spatial needs, such as buffet, dancing, gift table, etc.
A $150 maintenance fee will be added to the final cost of all events.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR ALL VISITORS OR EVENT GUESTS AT THE DOSSIN GREAT LAKES MUSEUM:
Starting February 1, the Michigan DNR has informed the Detroit Historical Society that the Recreation Passport will be strictly enforced for every vehicle entering Belle Isle Park. If any guests attending an event at the Dossin Great Lakes Museum do not have a Passport, they can be purchased on the island.
In the short term, there will be a temporary trailer located at the entrance to the park after you cross the bridge on the right. All vehicles will be stopped there and checked for a Recreation Passport. The Passport can be purchased there if needed. Vehicles not possessing the passport would not be allowed to proceed to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum or enter the island.
Pricing for the Recreation Passport is as follows:
- Michigan registered vehicles - $11;
- Out of state vehicles - $9 for a day pass or $31 for an annual pass;
- Commercial vehicles - $16 for an annual pass, including buses and limos.
More information on the Recreation Passport can be found online at www.michigan.gov/recreationpassport, however, only out-of-state residents can purchase Passports online. Residents can purchase the Passport at any State Park or when renewing their license tabs annually.
By April 1, a permanent two-lane booth is expected to be installed at the entrance to Belle Isle. One lane is expected to be used for cars with a Recreation Passport designation on their license plate that can be scanned without stopping. Until this booth with the “scan lane” is installed, every vehicle will be stopped before entering the island from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
The DNR has advised us that, if a bridge back up occurs, drivers will be let on the island without being checked. DNR rangers will then be checking parking lots to ensure vehicles have the Passport. If they spot a vehicle without it, a violation notice will be placed on the windshield. The vehicle owner will have 14 days to purchase the Passport, presumably at the park entrance. If the Passport is not purchased after 14 days, the notice then becomes a ticket.
- Docent-guided tour, as available: $25 per hour, per docent during museum hours; $50 per hour, afterhours and on weekends.
- Basic audio/visual package $100 flat fee, up to 4 hours of use
- Advanced audio/visual package $200 flat fee, up to 4 hours of use
- Attended coat check $25 per hour, per attendant
- Gift shop attendant $25 per hour, per attendant
- A.V. Technician $25 per hour, per attendant
- Rehearsals outside of Museum hours $100
- Additional rental time $150 per additional hour
- Entire Museum Access Package $200
- Security $50 per person, per hour
- Additional rental equipment and linens can be procured for a 20% gratuity fee
Please note that all prices are subject to change and may vary with your unique needs.
CLICK HERE for more information.