What kind of events can you help me host at the Dossin Great Lakes Museum?

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is the perfect place to host birthday parties and showers, weddings and receptions, and even corporate meetings and events!  We are able to accommodate up to 400 guests.  Let our event planners help you determine how much space you need.

Can I rent the Museum during normal business hours?

In many cases, you can host your event during regular hours.  Ask our events planner if your event qualifies.

How many hours can I rent space for?

Events are typically four hours in length, with an hour and half beforehand for set-up and an hour afterward for clean-up.  If you need more time, please inquire about the fee for additional hours.  Please note that evening events must end by midnight.

Is smoking allowed in the Museum?

The Dossin Great Lakes Museum is a smoke-free environment.

Is parking available for my guests?

The parking lot adjacent to the Dossin Great Lakes Museum is neither owned nor managed by the Society, please inquire about parking options with Belle Isle.

What audio/visual equipment is available at the Museum?

The basic audio/visual package includes a microphone and podium, while the advanced audio/visual package includes (in addition) a wireless microphone, laptop, screen, and projector.

May I bring my own caterer?

Yes, but ask our event planner to show you a list of suggested caterers.

Does the Detroit Historical Society have a liquor license?

Although we do not hold a liquor license, you may serve adult beverages at your event as long as your caterer has all appropriate licensing and insurance.

Is security available?

Two or more of our associates will be on hand to help you manage any matters of concern.

More questions?

Just ask! We’re flexible and excited to help you make history with your next event. Please call (313) 833-1733 to speak with our events planner.